This week has been extremely busy in terms of getting caught up with assignments, and getting ready for the “hell week” I have coming up (2 midterms, 3 assignments all due next week…), so I haven’t had a chance to work on any of my personal projects. I did, however, attend a FireFox OS Apps Day two weeks ago, which I haven’t talked about yet.
The day started pretty early (9am, which is really early for me..), and we got breakfast. We then had an introduction to the new phone, explaining why it’s great and why FireFox decided to build it. This was then followed by giving us all a chance to hack away and make something for their new phone. They had provided us with a bunch of great resources that would allow us to test and build apps, and were extremely helpful if we had any questions when it came to App Development for their OS.
The aim of the game is to get your piece (the purple one) into the blue piece before you get too big. As the levels went on, it would become harder where you would either have obstacles to overcome, or the landing zone was moving and changing sizes etc. I only managed to make the first two levels, and was working on the third one, but I’d made some prettty great progress and liked how my game was shaping up.
I’d run into an interesting problem where the game would work on the phone simulator (set up through the FireFox Browser), but had strange glitches in the browser. Interesting…
This is definitely one of the on-going projects that I plan to work on, and hope that I’ll be able to finish the game, even though it is pretty simplistic. Here’s a screenshot of the game being run on the phone simulator, followed by a link to the github repo where the codes are stored. It needs quite a bit of work, so we’ll see what happens.